Proudly Serving Spokane Residents


In the state of Washington, either party to a child support arrangement may request a modification. Keep in mind, however, that if it’s been less than one year since the order was established or last modified, the requesting party must demonstrate a significant, and often negative, change in circumstances in order to have their modification considered by a family law judge – a lost job, for example, or a drastic reduction in monthly income.

Are There Exceptions To This Rule?

Yes. Once your agreement has been in place for at least one year, the party seeking a modification is not required to demonstrate a significant change in circumstances, but only if (1) their child has grown out of the age category on which the current agreement was based, or (2) the child has demonstrated a continued need for financial assistance beyond their 18th birthday.

No Substitute For Seasoned Counsel

When it comes to child support modifications, there is simply no substitute for principled, experienced legal representation. If you are currently grappling with a contentious modification dispute, schedule an initial consultation with Stanley A. Kempner Jr. Attorney at Law today.